Friday, December 26, 2008

Definitely not in Kansas anymore...


Every Monday here in Tacna is "Lunes Civico" where all the students and their teachers gather in line formation in one of the big gathering places of the school. The day began with a few brief announcements followed by a simple, yet introspective prayer in which I was able to reflect on the first 24 hours in this new land, when suddenly what seemed out of no-where the Cristo Rey band began belting boisterous notes from their brass instuments. As I looked up I could see another group of two rows of three students marching in military fashion - moving their arms and legs contralaterally in stiff, sharp, and deliberate motions - carrying the Peruvian flag towards the center of the gathering place as another Peruvian flag was beging raised in the distance. They pivoted to face the flag being raised and the student coucil president shouted orders to the general assembly, "Firme...Descanso...AtenciĆ³n" - "Tighten up...At ease...Attention."

While the students began their pivot I could not help but think of how this dramatic shift of direction with only a few pivot steps reminded me of the pivoting shift that was ocurring in my mind and my direction of thought - a somewhat visual cue of an internal and on-going conversion experience. As all this was happening - the pivoting motion of the marching, the signing of the national anthem, the piercing Peruvian sun penetrating my core, and all the other events since my crack of dawn arrival to Tacna - something inside of me swiftly and suddenly hit me and said, ¨Welcome to the next two years of your life."

Was this the "culture shock" that was talked about in great detail at orientation? That inevitable feeling that I was hoping to avoid, but at the same time looking for so as to be more prepared by seeing it in the distance and therefore be more prepared for it? The phenomenon that can not be described with a forty-page handout, pie charts, line and bar graphs, or even the expressive circle emotion faces, but can only be felt?

No.

Well, probably not quite at least. However, this event along with many other events of these first few days - big chicken foot ending up in my stew at lunch, having no idea whatsoever where I am/ what is being said to me at times (haha, especially once during a run when the sun decided to set into perfect darkness earlier than I would have liked), watching huge parades complete with orchestras, traditional dancers, music pumped from a loud-speaker on top of a car like the Blues Brothers car, people dressed as animals, go up and down the street causing massive traffic jamsan elderly woman with the most wrinkles I have ever seen on one face who approached me slowly, sliently and without my awareness in the area between bright sun and the sharp cunning blade of shade and reached her hand out to ask for money as I was startled for not knowing she had come so close without my knowedge, and countless others - are all what I have begun to call my "Dorothy moments," each one revealing so much to me about myself, the world, and my place in the world that I am still trying to grasp. True moments of Grace. Simple as that.

Additionally, it has been very interesting because after each of these "Dorothy Moments" almost always there is something that follows which immediately compels me to feel as though I am at home here, completely and fully. For example, one time as I was walking through town and one of the aforementioned parades was processing through the main street, I began to think how much I must stand-out. Just imagine a blonde-haired, light-eyed, sunburnt, gringo wearing strange clothes observing a normal occurence of life in complete fascination and bewilderment. Yet, as this stark difference was setting in on me, I began a conversation with at the time a complete stranger. I´m having trouble remembering the exact words, but it wasn´t anything dramatic, however it seemed to put everything together, even if only for a moment. I left the parade and the conversation that day still with all my American physical characteristics or baggage as some may call it, but believe my perspective was stretched, as it has been many times since my arrival and for which I am continually grateful for.

This "Culture Shock" will eventually and unexpectedly come when I least expect it, and most likely when I am least prepared for it. Until then, I will try to let down my guard so as to not block off all these beautiful heaven-sent unexepected moments of Grace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was a very articulate, detailed, long oratory of your new life in Peru. From your description, things seem AMAZING. I'm sure you're soaking it into your pores. 2 YEARS,it seems like such a long time, but then you think hey I'm only 23 I need to get real. Sounds like a truly amazing experience mayne. Enjoy.